lichess.org
Donate

Changelog: March 2022

Thank you Lichess for everything on this free chess site we all appreciate it! You guys are amazing!
How can anyone (I saw someone make a thread about it the other day) say that Lichess is dying? Look at these constant updates and how active the site is. Probably just a Chess.com troll?

I'm on Chess.com, ICC, Lichess, PlayChess, etc. Lichess is pretty sick.
Are there opening practice lessons? I only see mates and basic tactic training exercises.
@Checkadoodles said in #18:
> Are there opening practice lessons? I only see mates and basic tactic training exercises.

One way to do that is to go to this link
lichess.org/analysis#explorer

Suppose you want to play as White against the French Defense.
Play 1.e4 e6, and then click the 'Practice with computer' button.
You play 2.d4, and the computer plays 2...d5. It also says your move 2.d4 is an "Inaccuracy" and "Best was Nc3". lol, smh!

Backing up a half move ...
On the left (on my browser) it has an entry from WikiBooks that says 1. d4 - French Defense [sic; it should say 2. d4],
and says "One of the more common responses to Black's intended French Defence. White creates the ideal pawn center with pawns on d4 and e4."
So you back up two half-moves and see that Stockfish 14+ with a depth of 43 from the cloud, is giving
+0.5 2. Nc3
+0.3 2. d4
and you open the explorer to find that most masters play 2.d4.
You realize the ridiculousness of that "inaccuracy" remark (really Lichess, 0.2 p in the opening gets such a remark) and continue on.

You can play any moves that you want. If you really make a bad move, like lose a piece, then Stockfish's evaluation will result in Lichess saying "mistake" or "blunder", and then you can continue on to get Stockfish to give a variation as to why, assuming it is not already clear from the immediate response. Example 2.d4 d5 3.Ba6 , gives 'Blunder, Best was Nc3', and response 3...Nxa6.
@jomega said in #19:
> One way to do that is to go to this link
> lichess.org/analysis#explorer
>
> Suppose you want to play as White against the French Defense.
> Play 1.e4 e6, and then click the 'Practice with computer' button.
> You play 2.d4, and the computer plays 2...d5. It also says your move 2.d4 is an "Inaccuracy" and "Best was Nc3". lol, smh!
>
> On the left (on my browser) it has an entry from WikiBooks that says 1. d4 - French Defense [sic; it should say 2. d4],
> and says "One of the more common responses to Black's intended French Defence. White creates the ideal pawn center with pawns on d4 and e4."
> So you back up two half-moves and see that Stockfish 14+ with a depth of 43 from the cloud, is giving
> +0.5 2. Nc3
> +0.3 2. d4
> and you open the explorer to find that most masters play 2.d4.
> You realize the ridiculousness of that "inaccuracy" remark (really Lichess, 0.2 p in the opening gets such a remark) and continue on.
>
> You can play any moves that you want. If you really make a bad move, like lose a piece, then Stockfish's evaluation will result in Lichess saying "mistake" or "blunder", and then you can continue on to get Stockfish to give a variation as to why, assuming it is not already clear from the immediate response. Example 2.d4 d5 3.Ba6 , gives 'Blunder, Best was Nc3', and response 3...Nxa6.

That was an insanely nice reply, and it disturbingly addressed my insanely weird obsession/hangup with the French Defense. I am a man (yes, a real man) who wants to destroy the French Advance variation.

I was intending to see something more along the lines of teaching us how to play the King's Indian Defense as white, step by step. If I play this, then black could play that. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this. Then, I could play this, then black would play this.

I was looking for something more along those lines. If you can help, I thank you graciously.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.